Friday 15 February 2013

Life Is Too Important To Be Taken Seriously.

This is one of my favourite quotes. I have it on my wall and use it to remind myself that I need to live the life I have been given. Oscar Wilde meticulous ordered words to form this slice of inspiration. He was also a great wordsmith and could influence words to release humour which transcends the years or sculpt them to build a monster that haunts you long after the book has been returned to the shelf. 

I am currently reading ‘The Picture of Dorian Gray’ a tale of vanity, lust, decadence, and all those other lovely traits that make life interesting; not always good for us but a little like that last piece of chocolate – fine so long as no-one else knows. Each time I have read Dorian I have seen new issues in the telling. Age, I think, is the difference. I was still at an all-girls private catholic college, and a good god-fear young lady (my mother would argue with this but it is my tale) and to be quite honest I was perplexed at some of the behaviour within the story. Years later at University I read it again and loved it. Why? Oscar captures the worst of human nature and makes it appear ok to act as you wish, given that there is no reckoning. The catch interestingly enough and the bit I missed at school, is that you are your own moral compass. Yes, people are flawed but most of us do try to do better, to forgive and to be superior to what we were yesterday. I like to think Oscar had it right, that given true freedom without fear of retribution, we would choose well.  

This then lead to my thinking of the intricacy of writing! How often do we stop to ponder over that quote that gets us though the darkness or that one book that is never any further away that one arm’s length?

I am new to blogging so I am still learning. I am enjoying the experience but not sure what should or should not be shared. I am not sure what my readers like or want. I know why I sign up to certain blog pages and connect to a particular social networking site. Sometimes it is the humour the author weaves into their storytelling. Others it is because I get a point of view that is different to my own. I enjoy these pages because I can rant all I like at the screen, without it yelling back at me or it getting up a leaving the room mid-debate. 

It is the same with reading novels. I know that I like a captivating crime story; stimulating sci-fi; mortal mystery; honest history and of course a raunchy romance. I really do not stop to think about how the writer imprisonments my interest and keeps me turning the 300 odd pages to reach the close.

I had one of the people who is reading my blog ask me today how I get my ideas and make it work. My answer was simple “I don’t know.”  I see or hear something that catches my imagination and I sit at my keyboard and write” Does it work? Sometimes I say yes and am very happy with the end results but am I honest? I would like to think so but the blogs that have been viewed the most are not the ones that I liked the best. 

So that leads to another question, how does a writer know what the reader wants? I write because of the way you can manipulate the English language. I write because I feel more at ease expressing emotion on paper than having to deal with people. I write because I love words. I prefer the term wordsmith to writer. A wordsmith is a master of his trade, whereas a writer does just that.

Life is full of rules and regulation, and writing is no different. Remember school; learning the rules of grammar, what punctuation was for and of course that mortal enemy of any student of true creativity – syntax. This is great if you have a news story to cover or are assembling a company report but to reach the heart and soul ensuing your reader spills tears either from heartbreak or laughter requires breaking the rules or at the very least , bending them.  I have read a book and been so immersed in the telling, I have seen the breaking dawn, heard the breeze, felt the chilling winter frost, wiped the plum juice from my hands or squatted with seconds to spare as the sword slashed. Others are just words joined together to tell of some happening. Interesting maybe, but this is not really storytelling. Words are meant to tell their story and in the hands of a master that is just what they will do. Words have started revolutions, destroyed governments, made heroes of fools, and created causes from nothing more than an idea. I guess the point I started out to make, was I enjoy my writing and sitting at my keyboard to shape words into a picture, hoping that when I share with others they may feel, but it is more for me then my reader. 

And this brings us back to the main focus of today’s blog. The reason for Oscar’s quote “life is too important to be taken seriously”. It makes no difference if anyone else likes your choices, what you want to do, the way you create, your dress style, your image, shape, hair and the list is endless. It is your life the only one you get to live. You do what you want. Write, paint, and sing, it really makes no difference if others see or understand. All that matters is that you are fulfilled.

And what of Dorian well, even after all the life that Dorian lived, love turned out to be his downfall. He could not bear to see himself through the eyes of the one he loved and so destroyed himself!

Me, I like to think I am my most critical admirer (again my mother would argue) so for me it translates into if I like me and what I am doing than that is all that should really matter. I know no-one could ever accuse me of taking life to seriously, including my mother but I do appreciate the importance of it to ME.

These are sites where you can access information about Oscar Wilde. The last link is to Goodreads and is a site for readers. Click on it and join us. We read and if you want to you can add a review of the book. I love the site because other readers or groups will introduce you to genres you may not normally experience. We are a friendly lot and welcome all newcomers.

http://www.cmgww.com/historic/wilde/  
http://www.biography.com/people/oscar-wilde-9531078
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/3565.Oscar_Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment